2002 Roadtrek 190 Versatile - 11/3/23 - Bilstein Shocks and Alignment

A listing of thoughts, ideas, repairs, projects, and experiences.
kurtfranz
Site Admin

2002 Roadtrek 190 Versatile - 11/3/23 - Bilstein Shocks and Alignment

Post by kurtfranz »

I recently purchased a set of front and rear Bilstein shocks with the intent of installing them myself. Changed my mind and took the van to a shop in Bradenton, FL. They installed the shocks nicely for me in addition to performing a front wheel alignment. I had a bad case of negative camber on the driver side and a bit on the passenger side. The tech told me that was not able to get this adjusted correctly unless he removed the knock outs, which would take more time which I did not have at the time. He told me that he had to remove the upper control arms to get the knock outs removed and also suggested that I might want to replace both of the upper control arms as the new ones include the ball joint and fresh bushings - mine are original as were the shocks. The shop has no issue installing pre purchased components and charges reasonable rates for their work. He told me that until I get the negative camber corrected I should make certain to regularly rotate the tires. Otherwise perfectly safe to drive. It drives straight as an arrow.

Also, I mentioned that my van was burning about 1/2 quart of oil per 1000 miles. When I told him I was using synthetic he told me that I should switch to dino and see what happens. He was pretty confident that the oil loss would be significantly be reduced.

Any thoughts?