Removed the 2 window channels from the glass on the window behind the driver seat using a flat razor blade. This window is glued shut and is missing the top hinge so it will stay glued shut. The 2 channels will be used on the rear driver side window which was missing them.
On the passenger rear window I was able to adjust the forward rod so that it rests on the glass simultaneously with the rear rod. I did this by holding one of the rods tightly and applying force to the other one. I did this in small increments and kept checking until I got it correct. In this picture you can see where the rods are not resting on the glass simultaneously
A significant amount of force was required, and I was a bit concerned about breaking it, but fortunately it is a sturdy item and it worked. This is something that anyone who is performing a window repair should address as they are not lined up correctly there will be excess stress on the front window channel and causing it not to close evenly. For the heck of it, I tried using the weatherstrip tape that I used on the doors again - the process that had failed previously viewtopic.php?t=23. I cleaned all of the surfaces with acetone and then alcohol. Then, I applied the tape to the brackets and made sure there was good adhesion, removed the red backing from the other side of the tape, carefully inserted the brackets into the "wheels" on the rods, lined up the rods and stuck them to the glass in the location that they were originally installed. I could see this by looking at the glass as the outline was still there. After sticking each one to the glass, I applied pressure with my hands for 5 minutes or so. Then I left them be for 24 hours without moving them and then tested them. So far so good but when closing the windows I am making a point to not crank them too tight, just enough to mate up to the weatherstrip and keep the water out - which I also tested successfully.
So, once again the windows look like this:
Also, cleaned up the outside water heater enclosure. Removed some rust with 0000 steel wool and it came out decent considering it is 20 years old. I have seen much worse on newer vans.
A listing of thoughts, ideas, repairs, projects, and experiences.
1 post • Page 1 of 1