2002 Roadtrek 190 Versatile - 6/21/22 - OBD2 Diagnostics Using Bluetooth

A listing of thoughts, ideas, repairs, projects, and experiences.
kurtfranz
Site Admin

2002 Roadtrek 190 Versatile - 6/21/22 - OBD2 Diagnostics Using Bluetooth

Post by kurtfranz »

I decided that I want to know my real time and average MPG, voltage, transmission and engine coolant temperatures on my Roadtrek. I feel that this is important to have feeling for when traveling, especially the MPG numbers with the high cost of petrol these days. I purchased a Veepeak OBDCheck VP11 bluetooth scan tool.

Veepeak.JPG
Veepeak.JPG (512.34 KiB) Viewed 12622 times

These types of units plug into the OBD2 connector and communicate via bluetooth to an application that is installed on a smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Initially I purchased a no name unit from China for $3.99 hoping that it would work and I would be lucky. It did not work because I did not perform due diligence and research these things before purchasing There are many of these inexpensive units available which support different protocols. The protocol that is needed for the 2002 Roadtrek is SAE J1850 VPW. You can search the web and obtain all of the details, but suffice to say you need this or it will not work.

The Veepeak unit performs as it should and works correctly with the Torque application for Android. There are quite a few apps that provide interface with OBD2, but OBDFusion and Torque seemed to be the most used and rated highly by end users. I am currently using the free version of Torque and it does the job for me at this time.

Went out for a drive yesterday - about 80 miles total - and averaged 16.5 MPG varying speeds between 60 and 80. The hottest reading that I obtained for the engine coolant was 204. It averaged about 197. Engine idled steady around 650. The voltage was a bit disconcerting in that it was fluctuating between 12.4 and 13. I believe I need to look deeper into my battery isolater as there may be an issue there.

Long story short - this is a win. I suggest and recommend it highly as the bang for the buck cannot be beat.