Got up early today and went back to work on the passenger side rear window. Made a bit more progress, about half way through it I think. I am fairly certain that the top hinge is intact. I then went to the back of the bus and cleaned up the "garage' area. I took the spare tire out and cleaned that up and then got some Resolve carpet cleaner and cleaned up a number of spots that were on the carpet back there. Came out pretty good with only the black ring on the carpet remaining from the spare tire - that is not coming out. The interior door panels are in good shape as well as the trim and rubber weatherstripping. These were all cleaned and treated with 303 Protectant - which I have been using for years. Came out really nice - the white paint looks good as does the black plastic pad on the floor.
As I stated previously, there is significant surface rust on the undercarriage. The plan is to get as much of it off as I can and then use some Loctite Extend Loctite Extend on the frame components where practicable. Then a coat of Rustoleum Black Semi Gloss paint followed by Fluid Film. Since the van will never see salt again this should hold up nicely. Keep in mind I only do this on the frame components - not on any other parts that are eventually replaceable such as front end components, upper control arms, springs, shocks, rear diff cover, etc... These items will get wire brushed and then Fluid Film will be applied - no Extend and Rustoleum. Actually I could get away with just using the Fluid Film on all of it and would be fine, but the frame is not replaceable.
The tow hitch was rusted up pretty good - which is not surprising - so I wire brushed that up and then it it with the wire wheel. Then I put a few coats of Extend on it. It turned nice and black like it is supposed to. In a few days I will be painting it with the Black Semi Gloss. It will look like new.
Also, as a final note, the Onan Generator and the associated chassis look almost new.
I have a feeling that they were replaced not long ago as there is no rust whatsoever on it and the green area looks like new as the does the bottom cover. Usually these areas are pretty spent looking. Also, the propane tank is in new looking condition as well - except that it is not the same model that was originally installed on the van. It sits lower and the maintenance valves are accessed from underneath and not behind the removable plate above the rear bumper. Also, the original tank had a valve and hose for attaching a propane appliance such as a grill or something. This tank does not have this. No big deal there as I would probably not used it much anyhow. A nice cleaning and a good coat of wax will clean it right up:
A listing of thoughts, ideas, repairs, projects, and experiences.
1 post • Page 1 of 1